Salsa Chili and Cheese Potato Topper
• 2 large baking potatoes
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 cup salsa
• 1 cup canned or leftover chili, optional
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• Sour cream, for garnish, optional
• Sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and place on center oven rack. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef, bell pepper and onion over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink, breaking the meat up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off the drippings.
3. Stir salsa and chili, if desired, into meat mixture, and heat through, stirring occasionally.
4. Cut potatoes lengthwise in half. Break up and fluff pulp with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Spoon equal amounts of beef mixture over each potato half, then top with a sprinkling of cheese. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a scattering of green onions, if desired.
We have plenty more Mexican dish recipes. Check out Easy Mexican Recipes Spice Up Dinner Menus.