Cowboy Casserole Recipe
• 1-1⁄2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 onion, chopped
• 6 medium potatoes, sliced, optional
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced, optional
• 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 pint chopped stewed tomatoes, or 1 can (15 ounces), undrained
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Minced garlic, to taste
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and onion; drain off fat.
2. Place beef mixture in a slow cooker. Top with layers of potatoes and carrots, if using. Cover with beans.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour and tomatoes, and mix well. Add to slow cooker, and season with salt, pepper and garlic. Stir well.
4. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.