Glazed Lemon Bread Recipe
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
• 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
• 1-1/2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease and flour a standard-size loaf pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in almond extract.
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
4. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk, blending just enough to incorporate all the dry ingredients. Fold in lemon peel and nuts, if desired.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
6. While bread is baking, make the glaze by blending the lemon juice with the remaining sugar.
7. Spoon glaze over bread as soon as it comes out of the oven.
8. Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes, before removing and cooling completely.
9. Wrap bread in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours to allow flavors to meld.
Want more homemade bread recipes from the Capper’s Farmer editors? Read Homemade Quick Bread Recipes.