Grilled Onion, Tomato & Goat Cheese Salad
• 1 red onion
• 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 3 tablespoons organic red wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
• 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
• Pinch of coarse sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2. Quarter the onion and separate into double-thick wedges. Thread the onions onto a skewer and the tomatoes onto another skewer; brush each with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
3. Place onions and tomatoes on the grill. Grill the tomatoes, turning several times, until they are hot and charred, about 5 minutes — they will “pop” when done. Remove the tomatoes from the grill.
4. Cover the grill and continue grilling the onions until they are tender, about 5 more minutes. Remove them from the grill and toss with remaining olive oil, vinegar and basil.
5. Place tomatoes and onion mixture in a serving bowl. Top with goat cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Interested in more on grilling? Check out Recipes for Cooking With Fire.