Herbed Olive-Oil Mashed Potatoes
• 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 to 4 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste, divided
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
• 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Minced fresh herbs for garnish, optional
1. Place potatoes in a large stockpot and add water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. When water reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
2. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add oil and reserved cooking water. Mash with a potato masher, then stir in basil, parsley, tarragon, pepper and additional salt, if needed.
3. Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish as desired.
Looking for more out-of-the-ordinary Christmas recipes? Try some of our other Non-Traditional Holiday Recipes.