Open Session: What Readers Think


Content Tools

Drive-in theaters - I enjoyed the article about drive-in theaters ('Remembering the Drive-in Theater,' June). It brought back many memories.

Forty or so years ago, I'd pop a sack of popcorn, fix a jug of Kool-Aid, and get my three children in their pajamas. (That way, they would be ready for bed when we returned.) Then, off we'd go to the movies. It was a pleasant and cheap way to spend a summer evening. There was no television or air conditioning then!

That drive-in is still in operation outside of Paola, Kansas.

Eva Rae Walters
Paola, Kan.

Editor's Note: Walters sent a recent newspaper advertisement for the theater. We received a similar note and advertisement from Carman J. Gresham, of Bloomington, Ill., noting that a drive-in theater on the south side of Gibson City, Ill., was still in business.

Prizes clipping - A reader recently wrote in Open Session that she was honored to have received a check for her contribution to the magazine. I, too, have received a few CAPPER'S checks.

The first clipping I have from CAPPER'S is a treasure I'll always cherish. It's about a trip I took to Kansas, to spend Christmas with an elderly cousin who would otherwise have spent the holiday alone.

My cousin had never had a Christmas tree. She said she didn't want one and wouldn't buy one, and besides, she had nothing to decorate it with. But a scraggly, 2-foot tree from a fencerow was the nicest tree she ever saw when we finished it with homemade trimmings.

I still go to Kansas at least once a year to visit the loved ones on Memorial Day. All my first cousins are gone now, and I do miss them.

Della Jones
Seneca, Mo.

Society columnist- I'm writing in regard to Kathryn B. Ingerle's letter about being a society columnist (Open Session, June). I, too, have written weekly columns for three newspapers since 1980. I started out as a proofreader. The editor of the paper dared me to write a column on household hints. I did, and my career went sky high. My column was called 'Memos From Marilyn,' and it contained household hints, recipes and poems. Readers used to call me, send me items of interest, or approach me on the street. I loved it, and I've kept all of my columns since then. My late mother-in-law said that I should make a book out of them. And I have considered doing so.

When I was leaving that job, a boss told me to find out why the society columnist didn't send in her news that week. So I called her, and she said, 'I quit.' She was about 90 years old. So, that boss asked me if I would do her column until they found someone else. And here I am, still doing it 27 years later.

Now, I e-mail my news to the three newspapers. Everywhere I go, I hear, 'I read your column every week.'

I've seriously considered quitting. I finally took a leave of absence a few weeks ago, as I am experiencing some health problems. But I discovered that the problem did not affect my hearing, mouth or writing hand! And thank goodness for e-mail.

Marilyn Olmanson
St. Peter, Minn.

Border-hoppin' cat - I read the article about the stowaway cat ('Canadian cat hops a ride, ends up in the United States,' June). I thought I would share this story.

I worked in a helmet factory in the 1990s in Andover, Kan. We had a big loading door on the side of the building. One day, a mother cat came and decided to stay. She made her way to the assembly line, and that's where she stayed - under the line. About a week went by, and she gave birth to two kittens.

The front office said if she stayed, she would need to visit a vet. A cup was set out with a sign that read, 'Please put 50 cents in to take Miss Puss to the vet.' So, she went to the vet. When she got back, she had a nice bed under the assembly line. While we worked, she slept, but at breaks, she would go with us into the lunchroom.

After about a year, Miss Puss disappeared. Jokes went around the plant that she was tired of making helmets and had a new job. Ten days went by, and we couldn't find Miss Puss. On the 11th day, a truck driver called and said that while unloading his truck, he had found a cat. He'd driven to Canada - Miss Puss had no food or water for 10 days. The people who owned the truck sent her home on an airplane.

When I retired, Miss Puss was still watching helmets go down the assembly line - with plenty of food and water in the ladies' restroom.

Jean Griggs
El Dorado, Kan.

Special birthday note - For my birthday 75 years ago - Oct. 7, 1930 - I received a birthday card from Arthur Capper. I was born in Osage City, Kan. It's amazing how well the original has held up. It is still light beige with black ink - no tears on it, and I am proud to have it.

I can recall that in my younger days, if it wasn't for CAPPER'S WEEKLY, there wouldn't have been much to read at our home. Today, I still look forward to it arriving. As a matter of fact, tonight I will be enjoying it from front to back.

Eva E. Banks
Independence, Kan.

Open Session - We welcome letters from readers. If you have an opinion or comment on an article you saw in CAPPER'S that you'd like to share, send it to Open Session, CAPPER'S, 1503 S.W. 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609-1265.