This Valentine's Day, say 'I Love You' with tulips
Tired of giving your loved one roses for Valentine's Day? This year, why not opt for tulips?
Netherlands Flower Bulb Information Center offers some helpful tips for buying and maintaining tulips.
• Choose tight buds with some color showing for longer-lasting flowers.
• Try several bunches of one color for a monochromatic look.
• Choose two or three harmonious colors for a color-blocked arrangement.
• Red, pink, apricot and bicolored tulips are always an excellent choice.
• For a gift that keeps on growing, give potted tulips instead of cut tulips.
• Trim stems before arranging, remove leaves below the water line, and place the vase away from sun and heat sources.
• Don't add cut flower food. Instead, just add plain, cool, clean water to the vase daily.
For those who prefer the traditional roses, Netherlands Flower Bulb Information Center also has some tips for buying and maintaining them.
• Look for petals that spring back when touched and stems that are straight.
• All one color of roses is generally preferred.
• Roses should be put in water immediately, and cut flower food should be used.
For additional cut flower tips, visit Netherlands Flower Bulb Information Center Web site, www.bulb.com.