Basket Stitch Pillow
In Japanese Stitches Unraveled(Abrams, 2018) by Lesley Unruh, readers can expect to find knitting stitches and plenty of projects to tackle. There are easy to follow diagrams and step-by-step instructions for beginners to use. Find this excerpt in Chapter 1, “Knits and Purls.”
Sometimes it’s fun to deviate from garment knitting and work on an item for your home instead. These pillows are quick knits; to make these “your own,” all you have to do is select a favorite stitch pattern, make a swatch to find your gauge, and then determine the number of stitches you need to cast on for the width of your pillow form. The next step? Just keep knitting and stretching your knitted piece over your form, bind off when it’s the right length, and work another piece for the back (or find a piece of fabric for the back). Then sew the two pieces together, leaving a space to insert your pillow form, and close it up. Add an optional attached I-cord, and you’re good to go!
13” (33 cm) square
- Blue Sky Fibers Organic Cotton (Skinny) [100% certified organic cotton; 150 yards (138 meters) / 21/2 ounces (65 grams)]: 1 hank #314 Gravel
Note: You will need to purchase a second hank if you make a double-sided pillow.
- One pair straight needles size US 5 (3.75 mm)
- One pair double-pointed needles size US 5 (3.75 mm), for optional I-cord
- Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
- 14” (35.5 cm) square fabric backing (optional), sewing machine or sewing needle (optional), matching thread (optional), 13” (33 cm) square pillow form
- 17 sts and 32 rows = 4” [10 cm] in Small Basket Stitch, washed and blocked
Common Decorative Pillow Sizes
If you’re unsure of what size pillow to knit, the most important thing to remember is that pillow dimensions always refer to the pillow cover’s width and length while laying flat, unstuffed. The measurements are always taken along the seams from corner to corner.
- 16” (40.5 cm)
- 18” (45.5 cm)
- 26” (66 cm) Euro or Continental
- 30” (76 cm) Euro or Continental
- 10 × 20” (25.5 × 51 cm) Lumbar
- 12 × 16” (30.5 × 40.5 cm) Boudoir
- 12 × 24” (30.5 × 61 cm) Lumbar
- 14 × 36” (35.5 × 91.5 cm) Lumbar
- 12 × 16” (30.5 × 40.5 cm) Travel
Small Basket Stitch
- (multiple of 10 sts + 5; 8-row repeat)
- Set-Up Row (WS): P1, [k1, p1] twice, *k5, p1, [k1, p1] twice; repeat from * to end.
- Row 1: [K1, p1] twice, *k7, p1, k1, p1; repeat from * to last st, k1.
- Row 2: P1, [k1, p1] twice, *k5, p1, [k1, p1] twice; repeat from * to end.
- Rows 3 and 4: Repeat Rows 1 and 2.
- Row 5: K6, p1, k1, p1, *k7, p1, k1, p1; repeat from * to last 6 sts, k6.
- Rows 6–8: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
- Repeat Rows 1–8 for Small Basket Stitch.
- CO 57 sts.
- Row 1 (WS): P1 (edge st, keep in St st), work in Small Basket Stitch to last st, p1 (edge st, keep in St st).
- Work even, working first and last st in St st, until piece measures approximately 13” (33 cm) from the beginning, or until piece is large enough to stretch firmly over pillow form, ending with a WS row. BO all sts.
Note:If you prefer to make a double-sided pillow, work Back panel to match Front and omit fabric backing. If you work a double-sided pillow, you will need to purchase additional yarn.
Pillow with Fabric Backing
With RSs of Front and fabric together, using sewing machine or needle and thread, sew 3 sides of Front to 3 sides of fabric backing using 1/4” (6 mm) seam allowance. Turn right side out. Insert pillow form; sew last side closed by hand.
With RS of Front and Back facing out, using working yarn, sew 3 sides together. Insert pillow form; sew last side closed. If desired, work a 3-st applied I-cord (see Special Techniques, page 278) around entire pillow, beginning and ending at bottom center of pillow. BO all sts. Sew CO edge to BO edge.
The coral pillow was made using 2 hanks of Blue Sky Fibers Organic Cotton (Skinny) (#317 Coral), 13” × 18” (33 cm × 45.5 cm) pillow form, and 14” × 19” (35.5 cm × 48.5 cm) fabric backing. Cast on 79 sts and work in the Butterfly Checkerboard pattern (see page 106) for approximately 13” (33 cm), keeping the first and last st of every row in St st. Finish it as for the Basket Stitch Pillow.
Small Basket Stitch 8-row repeat Small Basket Stitch 7531 10-st repeat 8642 Set-Up Row
Note: Pattern begins with a WS row.
DIY U.S. Map Wall Hanging
Want to make a statement from the comfort of your own home? Show your patriotism with this rustic outline of the United States.
DIY Garden Projects
Learn how to improve and decorate your food, flower, and herb plots with these simple do it yourself garden projects.
Gumdrop Wreath Project
Learn how you can decorate your front door for Easter and the spring season with a simple wreath made with gumdrops.