Forget to wear your gloves when doing garden chores? It’s easy to do. I often find myself reaching down to rid the garden of a few pesky weeds, and before I know it, I have a huge pile of weeds — and a pair of dirty, stained hands.Here’s a simple, natural remedy that involves using fresh lemons or green tomatoes, both of which really work to clean and refresh your hands. Remember to moisturize well afterward, though, because this treatment can be drying to your skin.
- Fresh Lemons
- Green Tomatoes
Fresh Lemons: Lemons are natural astringents and disinfectants that will leave your hands clean and fragrant.
- Cut a lemon in half, and rub the fresh juice all over your hands.
- Leave the juice on your hands for 5 minutes, and then rinse well with warm water.
Green Tomatoes: Working around tomato plants can give the skin on your hands a yellow-green tint. Use a green tomato to remove these stains.
- Cut the tomato in half, and rub the fresh juice all over your hands.
- Leave the juice on your hands for 5 minutes, and then rinse well with plenty of warm water.
For more homemade skin care, see:
- Natural Beauty from the Garden
- Galen’s Cold Cream
- Moisturizing Honey Avocado Mask
- Scented Sugar Scrub
- Dandelion Age Spot Oil
- Victorian Geranium Powder
- Marigold Hand Cream
- Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’! Shower Gel
Excerpted from Natural Beauty from the Garden by Janice Cox, published by Ogden Publications, 2018.