DIY Bedroom Decor, by Tana Smith, (Adams Media, 2015) is your guide to creating décor on a budget. Written by a popular Youtube-host, this book has 50 easy-to-follow ideas to transform your room. This nature-inspired project is practical and a conversational piece.
What if there was way for you to never deal with tangled necklaces ever again? Sounds awesome, right? Well, this Antler Jewelry Holder is the answer to your prayers! Storing your necklaces this way makes for easy access and is the ultimate time saver. Antlers are huge right now, and painting these ones gold gives them just the right look! This isn’t just for necklaces — it’s also the perfect resting place for scarves and purses!
• Newspaper or cardboard to protect floor (optional)
• 1 set resin antlers
• 1 can spray paint (any color)
• 2 acrylic paint colors
• 1 small craft paintbrush (approximately 1/2 inch)
• Masking tape
• Mounting tape (optional)
• Thumbtacks (optional)
1. In a well-ventilated area, lay down paper or cardboard to protect the ground if desired, and coat your antlers evenly with spray paint. Allow to dry for about 2 hours. This may require a second coat; just be sure to wait until they are completely dry before going on!
2. Once the spray paint has dried, use the masking tape to tape off small sections at the end of the antlers, leaving just the tips exposed.
3. Use a brush to apply the acrylic paint to the exposed tips and set the antler aside to dry for about 30 minutes. Paint some of the tips with one color of paint, and some with the other. You may need to use two coats to make the paint look opaque. Again, just be patient in waiting for your paint to dry before adding another layer!
4. After everything is completely dry, which will probably take up to a full day, remove the tape, and start hanging pretty scarves and precious jewels on your Antler Jewelry Holder! My antlers came with hooks for thumbtacks; if yours don’t have those hooks, feel free to use mounting tape.
Can’t use spray paint? Don’t worry about it! Regular paint might take a bit longer to apply all over the antlers, but you can get the same effect!
Excerpted from DIY Bedroom Decor: 50 Awesome Ideas for Your Room. Copyright © 2015 Adams Media. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by Tana Smith and Debby Wolvos.
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE