One of the top New Year’s resolutions is getting fit. After months of being relatively sedentary, jumping into an ambitious workout program often results in muscle pains and strains that can squelch enthusiasm and quickly derail fitness goals.
However, pain doesn’t have to be an excuse to not exercise, according to Topical BioMedics, Inc. of Rhinebeck, New York, makers of all-natural Topricin Pain Relief and Healing Cream. “Professional athletes and triathletes use Topricin both before and after events to reduce the risk of injury and quickly heal the pain of hardworking muscles, joints and ligaments,” says Lou Paradise, president and chief of research. “The eleven biomedicines naturally support and assist the body to reduce inflammation, detoxify and stimulate blood for that increases oxygenation of the skin to reduce pain and speed healing.”
- Laurie Towers, former professional bodybuilder, top New York City celebrity trainer and CEO of Physical Advantage PC, the sports and performing arts massage center, and the Bridal Body shop fitness programs, offers the following suggestions for keeping health and fitness a top priority throughout the year.
- Walk or bike to work, or get off a stop or two early on a bus/subway trip to help jump start your metabolism and engage in a bit of functional fitness.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. “Walking up and down the stairs burns many more calories than hitting the ‘up’ button,” says Towers. "Of course, this applies only if there are no specific limitations placed on your joints by your medical doctor.”
- Rather than linger over brunch, lunch or dinner, invite a friend to take a walk on the weekends instead.
- Bring your food to the office to ensure portion control and to know exactly what ingredients you are eating.
- Employ the buddy system for your workouts. You are far more likely to work out if you know someone else is relying on you.
- Cut calories without sacrificing taste by substituting sugar with healthier sweeteners, such as honey, maple syrup, agave or stevia, when cooking or in coffee and tea.
- “Don’t let pain stop you from achieving your fitness goals,” says Towers. “And when it does strike, rub it away with Topricin. I use it in my practice on professional athletes, dancers and other performers who place great demands on their bodies.”
- Set realistic goals that will let you become your own cheerleader and will continue all year long.
- Remember that it is perfectly natural to allow yourself a ’cheat’ day and indulge in the less-than-healthy foods you crave. The key is to use that day as a reward for a well-balanced nutritional investment you abide by the rest of the week.
Fitness expert Laurie Towers can be contacted at Physical Advantage Massage Therapy Center P.C., 139 E. 57th Street Penthouse, New York, NY; 212-460-1879, www.physical-knead.com. She also established The Bridal Body Shop personal and virtual fitness program (www.thebridalbodyshop.com), voted “One of the top businesses primed for success in 2011” by Business News Daily.
Topical BioMedics is the research and development leader in topical regulated natural biomedicines for pain relief. The company’s flagship product, Topricin® Pain Relief and Healing Cream, was introduced in 1994 and is now a leading natural therapeutic brand. A combination homeopathic formula, Topricin has been awarded a patent for the treatment of pain associated with fibromyalgia and neuropathy.
The Topricin family of natural healing products also includes Topricin Foot Therapy Cream, specially formulated to treat painful foot and ankle issues and conditions, and Topricin Junior for children, recipient of The Parent Tested Parent Approved Seal of Approval and a designated Trusted Partner with Healthy Child Healthy World.
Topricin products are formulated with approved medicines as found in the HPUS (Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States) and are in compliance with FDA rules for homeopathic over-the-counter medicines. The products contain no parabens and no petroleum or harsh chemicals, are odorless, greaseless and non-irritating, and produce no known side effects. They are safe for children (under age 2 consult a physician), pregnant and nursing women, and diabetics.