Gifts for the Kids
For the little ones – or their parents – we have some great gift ideas. From toys and toy storage to boots and an infant support pillow, parents and kids are sure to get lots of use out of the following products.
Abiie Beyond Junior Y Highchair
For new or expectant parents, the Abiie Beyond Junior Y is a gift that’ll last for years. This ultra-modern wooden highchair is designed to grow with the child, from 6 months of age until adulthood. It also makes great extra seating for just about anyone.
The highchair features a dishwasher-safe tray cover, an EZ-Seat that can easily be transformed from a highchair to a toddler’s chair or a dining chair for people of all ages. In addition, the chair is easy to clean, and is equipped with a dual restraint system, which can be adjusted as either a 3-point or 5-point harness to keep little ones safe, secure and comfortable.
While a little more expensive than some highchairs, this one is constructed of wood, grows with the child, and doubles as extra seating for adults when needed.
Where to buy: Amazon
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Easy to assemble. Nice size. Easy to clean. Sturdy and built to last. Attractive design. Seat is simple to adjust. Great highchair at a fair price.
Boppy Infant Support Pillow
The Boppy pillow makes a fantastic gift for new parents. Soft, yet durable, Boppy pillows lift babies to an ergonomic position for more comfortable feedings, for both baby and parent. The pillows also transition to the perfect support pillow for different stages of a baby’s development, including propping, tummy time and learning to sit.
When babies reach an age where they’re content to lounge comfortably, the Boppy envelopes the baby gently so he can do just that. As the baby starts to enjoy being on his tummy, the Boppy serves as a soft cushion for his upper body while he kicks his feet and lifts his head to check out his surroundings. Then, when babies are learning to sit, the Boppy comes in handy for added balance and support.
The slipcover is removable, and both the slipcover and the pillow are machine washable. They’re available in a variety of styles and designs.
Where to buy:Boppy
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Soft, comfy and sturdy. Both pillow and cover are easy to clean in the washing machine. Makes feeding time more comfortable for everyone. Great product at a nice price.
Case IH Casey & Friends Kids’ Books
The Casey & Friends book series combines photographs of Case IH equipment in real farming situations with cartoon characters to explain how modern farm equipment works in a factual and fun way. Young readers follow Casey the farmer, Tillus the worm, Big Red the tractor, and a whole cast of cartoon equipment characters who teach important life lessons gleaned from the farm, such as thinking ahead and working as a team. The books are perfect for both boys and girls, ages 4 to 8 – and parents and grandparents will love them as well.
• A Year on the Farm With Casey & Friends introduces youngsters to the world of modern farming by teaching them about the different jobs a farmer does each season. Casey and her team show how tractors, combines and other equipment are used to plant and harvest crops, work in the farmyard, and care for the animals.
• Big Tractors With Casey & Friends teaches kids how the biggest, most powerful tractors handle the demanding jobs of pulling and powering on the farm. They’ll find out how Big Red and Sammy (the biggest tractors on the farm) use their powerful muscles to work in the field with the rest of the team.
• Combines With Casey & Friends explains to young readers the step-by-step processes used to harvest crops by the most complex machines on the farm. Kids will follow Cody and Kellie (the combines of Happy Skies Farm) as they gather, separate, and unload grain and corn.
• Casey’s Bright Red Christmas With Tillus & Friends is the story of the Christmas season at Happy Skies Farm. Tillus, Big Red, Sammy, and the rest of the team are excited to celebrate the season, but Casey is busy working. With so much to do, Casey wonders if she’ll have time to prepare for the holidays, and that’s when the team unites to make Christmas extra special for their busy friend.
• Planters & Cultivators With Casey & Friends, coming in March 2016, introduces kids to the specialized equipment used on the farm for cultivating, planting and spraying crops, as the team works hard to get the spring planting done on the farm. The science of land cultivation and planting is explained in fun terms for children, so they can learn about this essential part of farming.
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Exceptional books. Fun and educational. Written well. Great illustrations. The combination of cartoon characters and real machinery is brilliant and creative. Kids (and adults) quickly become interested and focused on the story and characters.
Great Useful Stuff (G.U.S.) Toy Box
With all the new toys that kids are sure to be getting for Christmas this year, they’ll need a place to store and protect them, so this is an ideal time to give the gift of a toy box from Great Useful Stuff (G.U.S.). These toy boxes are nice and sturdy, and also work well for storing extra blankets and sheets, toiletries, out-of-season clothing, and much more, so even if you don’t have a youngster on your gift-giving list, but you do have someone who could use a little organization in their life, these toy boxes are a great idea.
The toy boxes are collapsible, feature convenient side handles so they can be easily moved, and are available in two sizes: large (30 inches long by 15 inches wide by 16 inches high) and small (15 inches long by 15 inches wide by 12 inches high). Although lightweight, these toy boxes are strong enough that they can be filled to the brim with toys or other items.
In addition, they have see-through mesh side pockets for quick access to cards, crayons, books and other small items, and Velcro tabs to keep them sealed. They can also be stacked, if desired. And, when they’re not in use, they fold flat for easy storage.
Where to buy:Great Useful Stuff
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Nice sizes. Sturdy, yet light and easily portable. Just the right height for kids. Holds a lot of toys. Works well for storing sheets and blankets and other items. Velcro seal works well.
John Deere Kids’ Boots
Tis the season for getting all dressed up, and what could be better – and cuter – than dressing the little ones in a pair of John Deere boots! Available in a variety of sizes and styles, these boots are made for walking – and crawling.
Made of leather and featuring moisture-wicking lining, these boots are comfortable, as well as stylish. If you have a little John Deere enthusiast, a pair of boots is sure to make him or her very happy this holiday season.
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Adorable and stylish. Excellent quality. Nice, comfortable fit. Wide variety of styles for both boys and girls.
John Deere Toys
Every kid loves opening fun toys at Christmas, and John Deere has something for everyone. This year, give the little ones an action-packed toy they’ll play with for hours.
Following are three new toys for this season, but be sure to check out all the great toys John Deere has to offer. After all “nothin’ runs like a Deere.”
• The John Deere 8” Monster Treads Lightning Wheels Tractor and Gator both feature motion-activated light-up wheels, and are ready to topple any obstacle that gets in their path. Both are available at Toys R Us and John Deere dealers.
• The John Deere Gear Force Mega Scoop Tractor features lights and sounds, and a rear scoop that transforms the toy into a Mega Scoop Tractor while doubling as a working shovel. Available at Toys R Us and John Deere dealers.
• The John Deere Pick ‘N’ Pop Combine is perfect for active toddlers. Featuring a sit ‘n’ scoot design, the machine picks up balls and pops them out, so children can roll over them to start the ball-blasting fun all over again. It also plays two musical tunes. Available on Amazon and at John Deere dealers.
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: Well built and durable. Entertaining. Sounds and music are loud, but not too loud. Motion-activated light-up wheels are colorful. Able to withstand rough and tough play.
Three Trees Workshop Toy Truck
If you’re looking to give youngsters a gift they’ll treasure forever, consider a personalized toy truck or other wooden toy from Three Trees Workshop – a family owned woodworking business in Warrensburg, Missouri, where Nathan and Cynthia Epp have made it their mission to create the best handcrafted items available, all made from locally sourced hardwoods. Their story is inspiring, and their products are beautiful. Be sure to check out all of their amazing products, and you just might find a gift for someone else on your list – or perhaps something for yourself.
Where to buy:Three Trees Workshop
Comments from the Capper’s Farmer editors: High-quality, beautiful products with amazing attention to detail. Perfect size toys for kids. Also looks great sitting on a shelf in a kids room.
Need more gift ideas? The 2015 Capper’s Farmer Holiday Gift Guide has lots of great gifts for everyone on your list.
Decorative Farmhouse Appeal
Add country charm to your home with this wooden cake stand and lightly distressed step stool you can easily make yourself.
Clean your toilet with ease by using these homemade toilet bombs.
Making Moth Balls
Keep moths at bay with these homemade moth balls.