Blue Ribbon Skillet
Yields 3 servings.
- 7 links breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons lard or butter
- 4 cups shredded hash browns
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese
- In large skillet, cook sausage according to package directions. Cut links into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In same skillet, heat lard or butter over medium-high heat. Add hash browns, onion, bell peppers, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until hash browns are lightly browned and tender, turning occasionally.
- Return sausage to skillet and sprinkle with cheese. Cover skillet and heat for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Editor’s Note: This recipe can be doubled to make a “2-skillet breakfast.” Cook sausage in one skillet, and in another cook the hash browns, onion, peppers and seasonings. Stir sausage pieces into hash brown skillet. Top with cheese and melt.