Cat Treats for Socks
It was the last week of August when it happened. I was adopted by a gray tabby with four white paws. I don’t know where he came from, he just happened to be there as I walked out the back door. He was a half grown kitten with the personality full of joy and love. He’s such a charmer that he won the hearts and minds of both of my Jack Russell dogs. Now there’s not a moment that goes by when you see me walking two dogs on a leash and a kitten right beside them.
I don’t mind Socks being there and I don’t mind feeding him cat food. I did have one problem. As much as I enjoy making homemade dog treats for Jake and Buddy, the recipe books that I have on hand for homemade treats were just for dogs. Not one single recipe for cat treats.
Well, I guess the internet and google saved the day for me. I found plenty of cat recipes online, some of which that included cat nip. Let’s face it, as a dog owner, cat nip isn’t something that I keep on hand in my pantry.
Finally, I found the following recipe that saved the day. Although it does call for a jar of chicken and brown rice baby food, you can substitute something meaty, including canned wet cat food. I used some chicken and rice that I had left over from lunch. I hope that the cat lovers out there find this internet find handy. I has the Socks seal of approval!
Chewy Cat Treat
- 1 large egg
- 14 oz jar chicken and brown rice baby food, may substitute with something meaty, including canned cat food
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2T water
- 1c brown rice flour
- 1/2 c. of rice, your choice of brown or white
- Preheat oven to 325F. Make sure your rack is in the middle of oven. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix first four ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Then add rice and rice flour, stir. When you’re done, the mix should be thick but spreadable.
- Spread your mix onto prepared baking sheet, 1/3 of an inch thick. Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool and slice into bite size pieces. Return to oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store in airtight container in your refrigerator.
This is a wonderful recipe that Sock really loves. The creator of this recipe is a genius!
Steak Fajitas Recipe
The steak for these fajitas can be marinated overnight and cooked the next day, making a quick supper. Serve them with beans and rice to round out the meal
White Chicken Chili Recipe
This chicken chili, made in a slow cooker, calls for cream cheese and half-and-half for delightful creaminess, and is guaranteed to warm the body and soul.
Turkey Meatballs Recipe
These meatballs, made with ground turkey, are cooked and then simmered in a cream sauce. Serve them over pasta, alongside green beans and garlic bread.