6 servings SERVINGS
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 box (12 ounces) bow tie pasta
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, finely chopped, at room temperature
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare marinade by pulsing 1/2 cup basil leaves, olive oil, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor.
- Place chicken in a zippered plastic bag; add marinade, seal bag and turn to coat evenly. Refrigerate chicken for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When ready to grill, drain chicken, leaving basil clinging to each piece. Let sit, uncovered, at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler. Grill (or broil) chicken, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes total, turning and rotating pieces to produce crisscross grill marks.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Add mozzarella cheese pieces, stirring well to melt cheese.
- Cut hot chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Immediately scatter warm chicken and juices over pasta and cheese; toss well. Add remaining basil leaves, tomato, red bell pepper, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, remaining salt and black pepper; toss to mix well.