Elderflower Fritters. Photo by Getty Images/alle12.
Elderflower fritters, also sometimes called pancakes, are essentially fresh elderflowers dipped in a light batter and deep fried.
- Oil, for frying
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Elderflower clusters
- Powdered sugar
- Pour an inch or so of oil into a large skillet, and heat over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, milk, and salt to make a batter.
- When the oil is hot, dunk an elderflower cluster in the batter, then carefully add it to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove from skillet, and drain on a paper towel. Repeat dipping and frying with remaining elderflower clusters and batter, adding additional oil to the skillet as needed.
- Dust the fritters with powdered sugar, and eat while still warm.
Learn more about elderberries and find more recipes with Growing, Harvesting, and Using Elderberries.