Amish Honey Bars Recipe
Makes 2 dozen bars
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, stir the sugar, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon until evenly mixed. Then add in the egg, vegetable oil, honey, and nuts. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Spoon into an ungreased jelly-roll pan or 9 by 13-inch pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, water, and mayonnaise until smooth and creamy. Spread onto the honey bars while they are still warm.
- Store the bars in a sealed container or cake safe. These will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days. Makes 2 dozen bars.
Some Amish do keep bees so that they can make and sell their own honey. Pure homemade honey tastes delicious. I often use honey in place of molasses in recipes because we seem to prefer the taste. This bar is delicious with a strong taste of honey.
One of the ways the Amish savor their simplicity is through their back-to-basics baking — more of an art form than a chore. In The Amish Cook’s Baking Book (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2009),celebrated Amish cook Lovina Eicher and her editor, Kevin Williams, introduce a new generation to Amish baking. With more than 100 recipes, learn to use the tools and techniques that have been passed down through generations, and journey through the delicious world of Amish baking. The following recipe is excerpted from the book’s chapter on cookies.
Buy this book in the GRIT store: The Amish Cook’s Baking Book.
More from The Amish Cook’s Baking Book:
This excerpt is reprinted with permission from The Amish Cook’s Baking Book by Lovina Eicher with Kevin Williams and published by Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2009. Buy this book in our store: The Amish Cook’s Baking Book.