Photo from Adobe Stock/Antony McAulay
This popular treat is eaten any time of day and is a staple in any Icelandic home
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 1/2 cups of flour, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
Yield: approximately 60
Photo from Homestyle Icelandic Cooking for American Kitchens
- In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, baking soda, vanilla and buttermilk. In a third bowl, sift together 5 cups of the flour (reserve 1/2 cup), with the salt, cardamom, and cream of tartar.
- Alternating between the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture, gradually add both to the egg mixture. Stir to blend completely.
- On a flat surface, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. Turn out onto flour and knead for one minute. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Divide into three portions. Roll each out to about 1/4 inches thick and cut into strips approximately 1 inch wide by 2 1/2-inches long*. Cut a slit in the center of each and fold one end through the slit.
- Fry in deep pan or fryer at highest setting for approximately 3 minutes, or until golden brown, turning them halfway through frying.
- Cool on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve plain or sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. Store in sealed container or freeze up to three months.
Alternatives & Substitutions
Because kleinur requires frying at a very high temperature, when using a fryer, allow the oil time to heat up again after each round of doughnuts. If you make this recipe often, a Fattigmann Cookie Cutter tool will make the process much easier.
Also from Homestyle Icelandic Cooking for American Kitchens:
Steak Fajitas Recipe
The steak for these fajitas can be marinated overnight and cooked the next day, making a quick supper. Serve them with beans and rice to round out the meal
White Chicken Chili Recipe
This chicken chili, made in a slow cooker, calls for cream cheese and half-and-half for delightful creaminess, and is guaranteed to warm the body and soul.
Turkey Meatballs Recipe
These meatballs, made with ground turkey, are cooked and then simmered in a cream sauce. Serve them over pasta, alongside green beans and garlic bread.