This patriotic salad will be the star of your holiday feast.
- 1 large, ripe watermelon
- 1 ripe honeydew OR white-fleshed melon
- Using an oblong watermelon, slice 1/4 inch off the bottom, lengthwise, to provide a stable base.
- Use a pencil to draw lines for handle placement and basket opening. Cut the handle first, wide enough to hold stars, then make zig-zag cuts with a paring knife, all the way through the rind (be careful to not cut through handle base on either side).
- Carefully remove sections. Pull out large chunks of flesh and cut them into 3-by-3-inch squares.
- From squares, trim off 3/4-inch-thick slices to use for cutting out stars. To cut stars, use 1 1/2- to 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutters.
- Next, cut out 5 large star-shaped pieces from leftover rind (use a paring knife if necessary) for the handle. Trim off red flesh; attach to basket handle, with white side out, with half toothpicks.
- Use an ice cream scoop to remove flesh from inside of basket; cut scoops into quarters for fruit salad. Place in bottom of the basket.
- Cut out white strip from honeydew for salad. Garnish top of fruit salad with watermelon stars, melon strips and blueberries.