Preserving Made Easy by Ellie Todd and Margaret Howard is filled with recipes and techniques to help new preservers. It’s a helpful read if you are looking to start canning and preserving for your own. Find this excerpt in Chapter 9, “Chutney.”
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb 1 L
- 1 cup chopped dried dates 250 mL
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots 125 mL
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar 125 mL
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 50 mL
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Candied Ginger or crystallized ginger 50 mL
- 1 tsp curry powder 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp pickling salt 1 mL
- Combine rhubarb, dates, sugar, apricots, vinegar, onion, ginger, curry powder, nutmeg and salt in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes, or until thickened and fruit is soft, stirring frequently.
- Remove hot jars from canner and ladle chutney into jars to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim (headspace). Process 10 minutes for 1-cup (250 mL).