Time to eat, but out of time to shop? Judy Hannemann is here to provide inspiration to use what you already have in your cupboard, fridge, and freezer to make a delicious and healthy home cooked meal. In The Cupboard to Table Cookbook (The Countryman Press, 2016), Hannemann has not only more than 100 simple and straightforward recipes to share, but also includes a list of basic ingredients to keep on hand, some of which you may not have considered essential before. With this guide, you can minimize food waste and grocery shopping trips, as well as save time and money. Perfect for busy families, frugal chefs, and rural livers alike, this is a cookbook that proves you don’t have to rely on expensive, unhealthy takeout or spend hours shopping and cooking to whip up a breakfast, dinner, or anything in between. Never make that hectic, last-minute trip to the grocery store again!
You can purchase this book from the Capper's Farmer store: The Cupboard to Table Cookbook.
• 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
• 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire or steak sauce
• 1-2 tablespoons ketchup (use 1 tablespoon if using steak sauce)
• 1 cup Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-1/2-inch cubes
• 8-10 slices bacon (I make a lattice with 8 slices of bacon to top the meatloaf—4 across, 4 down. You can use less bacon if you don’t want to get fancy, but the loaf should be topped with bacon.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except the bacon. Form into a loaf shape.
3. Top with either a fancy bacon lattice or lay strips across the top. Make sure to tuck the bacon under the bottom of the meatloaf.
4. Place in an oblong pan (I used 7x11 inches with a rack) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until internal temperature is 160 degrees F.
More from The Cupboard to Table Cookbook:
Reprinted with permission from The Cupboard to Table Cookbook: Satisfying Meals Made from What You Have on Hand by Judy Hannemann, published by The Countryman Press, an imprint of W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. 2016. Buy this book from our store: The Cupboard to Table Cookbook.