Bacon-Sautéed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
1 / 2
Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and shallots is a tasty side dish.
Photo by Getty/boblin
2 / 2
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, or quartered if large
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to release its fat, about 3 minutes.
- Add the shallot, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Drain off all the fat.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the boiling water, and blanch until tender, 4 to 7 minutes (don't overcook).
- Drain well, and add to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, gently tossing the Brussels sprouts with the bacon and shallot, about 2 minutes.
- Season with pepper, and serve.
More from Recipes from the Root Cellar:
- Potato Knishes Recipe
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Vegetarian Egg Rolls Recipe
- Pumpkin Waffles Recipe
- Vegetable Recipes from the Root Cellar
Reprinted with permission from Recipes from the Root Cellar by Andrea Chesman, published by Storey Publishing.