The Best Baked Potato Toppings
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned or leftover chili, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, for garnish, optional
- Sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and place on center oven rack. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the ground beef, bell pepper and onion over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink, breaking the meat up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off the drippings.
- Stir salsa and chili, if desired, into meat mixture, and heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise in half. Break up and fluff pulp with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon equal amounts of beef mixture over each potato half, then top with a sprinkling of cheese. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a scattering of green onions, if desired.We have plenty more Mexican dish recipes. Check out Easy Mexican Recipes Spice Up Dinner Menus.