Texas Beef Chili Recipe
- 8 dried ancho chiles, trimmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 3 pounds ground beef, preferably coarse-ground chuck
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto beans
- Salt to taste
- Chopped colorful bell peppers for garnish
- Soak dried chiles in 1 quart warm water to soften, about 15 minutes. In a blender, purée chiles with their liquid.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat half of oil and brown beef. Remove and reserve.
- Add remaining oil to same pan, and lightly brown onion and garlic.
- Stir in paprika, cumin, oregano and allspice.
- Add chile purée, beef, beans and salt to taste, and bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until chili is rich and concentrated.Serve with chopped bell peppers for garnish.
More from this issue:
- Veggie Slaw Recipe
- Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Quick Raspberry Sauce Recipe
- Quick Mixed Berry Sauce Recipe
- Mixed Fruit Salsa Recipe
- Magic Lemon Pie Recipe
- Confetti Cornbread Recipe
- Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- Cincinnati-Style Turkey Chili Recipe
- Celebration Lime Cheesecake Bars Recipe