Try this filling and festive dish at your next fiesta.
• 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
• 1 can (10.75 oz.) condensed tomato soup
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 can (8 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
• 1 package (12 oz.) corn muffin mix
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2/3 cup milk
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook beef and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well-browned, stirring frequently. Pour off and discard fat. Stir in soup, water, chili powder and corn. Heat to a boil. Spoon into a shallow 11-by-8-inch baking dish. Combine muffin mix, egg and milk in a bowl until just mixed. (Mixture will be lumpy.) Spoon over beef mixture in pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2007 edition of Heart of the Home.
More southwestern recipes:• Chicken Enchilada Recipe
• Cheddar Potato Bake Recipe