Broccoli Frittata Recipe
1 / 2
Try this incredible Broccoli Frittata Recipe for breakfast.
Photo by Fotolia/Annie1961
2 / 2
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 9 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- When skillet is hot, add and melt butter. Add onion slices, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add broccoli and water, and cook until broccoli is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and allow it to cool completely.
- Clean skillet, then set it on the stovetop over low heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg whites, beating with an electric mixer until they are extremely light and fluffy, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Increase stovetop burner temperature to medium heat, and add oil to the skillet.
- Fold Parmesan and broccoli mixture into eggs, and mix well. Pour mixture into hot skillet, but do not stir. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over the top, and cook, without stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from stovetop and place in oven. Bake until top is golden and center is set, about 30 minutes. (If the cheese starts browning too quickly, cover the skillet loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil.)
- Let frittata stand for a couple of minutes to cool slightly before slicing and serving.More skillet recipes: Cast Iron Recipes