Jerky Everything (Countryman Press, 2015) by Pamela Braun is an easy to understand book filled with thorough instructions on how to make your own homemade jerky. Recipes range from beef to poultry, fish to fruit and even several vegetables. Wild game is no exception. With an exhaustive list of instructions on how to properly prepare meats as well as a myriad of recipes to try; Braun details how anyone can make the perfect jerky in the comfort of their own kitchen.
You can purchase this book from the Capper's Farmer store: Jerky Everything
There’s nothing fancy about this jerky at all. It’s a great road trip snack. It’s easy to eat because it’s made with ground beef, so it’s not as chewy and more on the crunchy side. The seasonings are also very mild. This ground beef jerky is so easy to make and it turns out better when you make it in the oven than in the dehydrator.
• 1 pound 90/10 ground beef
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
• 1 teaspoon granulated onion
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a medium-size bowl, mix all the ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Lay a large piece of parchment paper down and put the meat on top of it.
3. Unroll a large piece of plastic wrap and lay that on top of the meat.
4. Begin to press the meat out with your palms, use a rolling pin to get it to 1/4-inch thickness, then remove the plastic wrap.
5. If drying in the oven, slide the meat-covered parchment paper directly onto a baking sheet.
6. Score the meat into rectangular shapes so it’s easier to break them apart when done drying.
7. If using a dehydrator, cut the meat into rectangles.
8. Use an offset spatula to arrange the pieces on the fruit roll tray and begin drying.
For more information on DIY jerky from Jerky Everything, try this:
Reprinted with permission from Jerky Everything by Pamela Braun and published by Countryman Press, 2015. Buy this book from our store: Jerky Everything