Celery Root and Apple Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 pounds celery root, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- Cooked, crumbled bacon, optional
- Grapeseed oil or olive oil, optional
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery root, apples, and onion, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until apples are translucent. Make sure to keep the heat low enough that the mixture doesn’t brown. Stir in broth.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until celery root and apples are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Working in batches, pur?e the soup in a blender until desired consistency is reached. For a smoother soup, you may need to add additional broth.
- Return all batches of soup to the stockpot, and heat over medium-low heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish individual servings with cheese, bacon, and oil, if desired.
Photo by Getty Images/msheldrake
Yields about 6 servings.
For more delicious apple recipes, see Apple Recipes From the Autumn Harvest.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. She enjoys doing crafts and DIY projects, hanging out with her Labrador retrievers, and trying new recipes.