• 1 1/2 pounds pitted fresh sweet cherries
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 8 egg whites
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons cherry brandy or cherry extract
• Confectioner’s sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Butter a 10-inch tart pan, or baking dish of similar size. Arrange cherries in bottom of pan; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and sugar.
4. In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, milk and cream. Stir in vanilla extract and cherry brandy. Gradually whisk in the flour mixture until batter is smooth.
5. Pour batter over cherries in pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is puffed and browned. Remove from oven and let cool until the top sinks in slightly. Dust with confectioner’s sugar, if desired, just before serving.
Looking for more out-of-the-ordinary Christmas recipes? Try some of our other Non-Traditional Holiday Recipes.