Fresh vegetables add color and crunch to Grilled Chicken with Sweet Corn and Pepper Relish. Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.
- 1 lemon
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed from cob, about 1 cup kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel lemon.
- In a large, shallow, glass baking dish, place lemon peel strips and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken breast halves and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to boil. Add corn kernels; simmer for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine corn, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, onion, garlic and parsley. Stir well to combine. Add remaining olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler. Place chicken breasts on grill or under broiler and cook until golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken breasts, season with remaining salt and pepper; return to grill. Continue cooking until golden and cooked throughout, about 4 to 5 minutes more.
- To serve, slice each chicken breast on the diagonal into 4 or 5 slices. Top with relish. Garnish with additional parsley leaves, if desired.
This recipe originally ran in the September 2006 edition of Capper’s Farmer.