This recipe requires minimal effort and results in a hearty, tasty dinner dish. Photo by Zac Williams
If you're living off the grid, or want to cook a feast while camping, you can still make a brisket with just you, your dutch oven, and some hot coals
- 1 package (2 ounces) dry onion soup mix
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- Place brisket in a 12-inch Dutch oven, fat side up. Pour cola mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 175 degrees Fahrenheit. (Plan on about 40 minutes cook time per pound of brisket.) Swap out coals every 60 minutes, using 10 coals underneath the oven and 16 on top.
Reprinted with permission from Dutch Oven: Cajun and Creole by Bill Ryan, published by Gibbs Smith.
For more delicious Dutch oven recipes, see: