This delicious appetizer tastes great any time.
• 3/4 cup drained sauerkraut with caraway seeds
• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
• 1/3 cup prepared Thousand Island dressing
• 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• Chopped green onions OR fresh parsley, optional
• Pita chips, whole-grain crackers, rye crackers OR rye cocktail bread
1. Heat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine corned beef brisket, sauerkraut, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup cheese, dressing, horseradish and red pepper in a small bowl. Spread evenly into a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
3. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly. Garnish with green onions, if desired. Serve with pita chips, crackers or cocktail bread.
4. Editor's note: Dip may be prepared up to 24 hours in advance; do not bake. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Bake, uncovered, at 425°F for 15 to 16 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
Beef cooking tips:
• The secret is simple: cook it long and slow, tightly covered. The steam created ensures fork-tender, moist beef.
• To determine doneness, insert a fork into the brisket; the beef is fork-tender when fork inserts without resistance and releases easily.
• Always carve brisket across the grain into thin slices.
This recipe originally ran in the March 2006 edition of Heart of the Home.
More corned beef recipes:• Corned Beef Brisket with Roasted Vegetables Recipe
• Corned Beef and Roasted Vegetable Salad Recipe
More Heart of the Home recipes:• Cranberry Glazed Cinnamon Roll Recipe
• Hazelnut Waffles with Cranberry Pear Sauce Recipe
• Tangy Lemon Breakfast Fruit Strata Recipe