Cornmeal Catfish Recipe
- 1/2 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fine-grind cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds catfish fillets
- Light olive or peanut oil for the pan
- Hushpuppies, to serve
- Mix the medium- and fine-grind cornmeal in a shallow dish with the garlic, salt, and several grinds of pepper.
- Whisk the eggs with the hot sauce in a medium mixing bowl.
- One by one, coat the catfish fillets in the egg mixture then lightly dredge them in the cornmeal mixture. Set aside on a large plate or platter.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet with oil and warm over medium heat. Add the catfish fillets and sauté in batches, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Add oil to the pan between batches when necessary, to prevent sticking. Serve immediately with tartar sauce and hushpuppies.
More from Southern from Scratch:
- Chocolate-Dipped Orange Shortbread Recipe
- Homemade Hushpuppies Recipe
- Spikey Tartar Sauce RecipeFrom Southern from Scratch, by Ashley English, © 2018 by Ashley English. Photographs by Johnny Autry, © 2018 by Johnny Autry. Reprinted by arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Boulder, Co. www.roostbooks.com.