Family Table (Lyons Press, 2018) by Shaye Elliott proves that a homesteading dream can become a fruitful reality. Elliott brings readers recipes that stem directly from her own experience working her family’s farm, from complex dishes to simple sauces and butters. The following excerpt is her recipe for cream cheese and chive potatoes.
These potatoes are creamy, slightly smashed, and gently seasoned with chives. I’ll take a big bowl of “Yes, please!” I won’t even judge you for crumbling bacon over the top.
• 2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces, skins on
• 1/3 cup cream cheese
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 tablespoons minced chives
1. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the potatoes, cover, and gently cook until they’re fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream cheese and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Smash the potatoes and cream cheese together with a potato masher or fork until they’re mostly creamy and combined, with just a few small potato pieces remaining for a little texture. Top with the chives and gently stir to incorporate just before serving.
More from: Family Table• Crusty Hash Browns Recipe
• Blackberry Custard Cake Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Family Table (2018), by Shaye Elliott and published by Lyons Press.