Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 pint whole peeled tomatoes, or 1 can (15 ounces), crushed fine
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups water, depending on desired thickness of soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Combine chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, beans, onion, green chiles and garlic in a slow cooker. Stir in water, broth, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, corn and cilantro, if using. Stir in bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before soup is done, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with a little olive oil, and cut them into strips. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls, and sprinkle tortilla strips over the top.Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.