• 3 pounds ground beef
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 quarts canned tomatoes with juice
• 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
• 4 cans (15 ounces each) red chili beans
• Diced hot peppers, to taste, optional
• Salt and black pepper, to taste
• Shredded cheese
• Diced green onions
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and onion, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain off excess grease.
2. Transfer meat mixture to a large stockpot, and place over medium-high heat. Stir in tomatoes, brown sugar, chili powder, and chili beans. Add hot peppers, if using, and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce heat, and let chili simmer for at least 1 hour to allow all the flavors to blend.
4. Ladle into individual serving bowls, and garnish with shredded cheese and diced green onions.
NOTE: Leftover chili can be frozen in freezer-safe containers, or can be served over hot dogs, french fries, baked potatoes, or tortilla chips.