Easy Crème Brûlée Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sanding or turbinado sugar, divided
- Fruit for garnish, optional
- Heat oven to 325 F. Arrange six 4-ounce ramekins on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cream, half the sugar, vanilla bean seeds and pod, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often, and boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl and beat lightly. Whisk in remaining sugar until combined. Gradually add 1/3 of the hot cream mixture and whisk to incorporate into the egg yolks. Add remaining hot cream mixture and stir well to thoroughly combine and form a custard.
- Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large glass measuring bowl with a pour spout. Carefully pour custard into the ramekins, filling them all the way to the rims.
- Place baking sheet in the oven, then pour hot water in the pan to come about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are set but the centers still jiggle when the ramekins are shaken gently.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Wrap ramekins in cling wrap and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon sanding sugar over the custard in each ramekin. Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet and place under the broiler to melt and caramelize the sugar. Garnish with fruit, if desired, and serve immediately.Looking for more out-of-the-ordinary Christmas recipes? Try some of our other Non-Traditional Holiday Recipes.