The colors are changing here on the farm and it is time for coffee cakes and conversations. This is a cake that I make all the time when I am looking for a cheap and quick cake for unexpected company. As a lover of cranberries, I always have then in my freezer. Feel free to use whichever fruit is in season, or make with frozen fruit.
I am pleased to announce that I have local raw honey for sale at Wynyates Farmhouse Bakery.
• 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup granulated white sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 cup neutral vegetable oil
• 1/3 cup milk or sour cream
• 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1/3 cup rolled oats
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Optional Fruit Filling:
• 1 cup cranberries or other frozen fruit
• 1/3 cup orange juice
• 1/3 cup raw honey
If you plan to unfold the cake, use a spring form pan.
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Mix first 3 ingredients in large bowl. Add oil, milk, eggs and vanilla and stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
3. Transfer batter to ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. *
4. Sprinkle with brown sugar, oats then cinnamon. Dot top of batter with butter. Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
5. Cool slightly. Cut into squares to serve.
Combine ingredients in a small pot and heat until the berries have popped and then let cool. Spread gently over cake batter before sprinkling with the sugar, cinnamon and butter.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE