Fermented Vegetable Medley Recipe
- 4 cups assorted vegetables of your choice, washed, peeled if desired, and cut into uniform pieces
- Seasonings of choice, such as garlic, dill, and peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 4 cups distilled water (free of chlorine)
- Pack the vegetables into a clean, sterilized quart jar, leaving at least 1-1/2 inches of headspace. Add seasonings as desired.
- In a large bowl or stockpot, combine the salt and water. Stir until the salt is mostly dissolved.
- Pour salt brine over the veggies in the jar, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
- Add a fermentation weight or a smaller jar filled with water to keep the vegetables submerged in the brine.
- Cover the jar with cheesecloth or a coffee filter, and secure with a rubber band.
- Set the jar on the counter to ferment. Check daily to make sure the veggies are completely submerged in the brine. If not, add enough water to cover them. After 2 or 3 days, taste for flavor. Continue the fermenting process, tasting daily, until desired flavor is reached.
- Once the flavor is to your liking, remove the weight, cover the jar with a lid, and refrigerate.
Photo by Getty Images/meteo021
Yields 1 quart.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. She enjoys doing crafts, hanging out with her Labrador retrievers, and trying new recipes.