Jennifer White, of Columbus, Ohio, took home fifth-place honors - and a check for $1,000 - with this delicious recipe in the National Chicken Cooking Contest.
Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits:
To prepare Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits:
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, onion and sugar in a small skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook for 10 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Cool.
- Place flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture is mealy.
- Place mealy mixture in a large bowl; fold in bacon and completely cooled onions. In a glass measuring cup, mix together sweet potato purée and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture. Form a soft dough; place on a floured surface and pat to 1-inch thickness. With a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Place in a buttered skillet; bake for 25 minutes.
To prepare chicken:
- Place all ingredients except chicken in a saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Add chicken; remove from heat.
- To serve, split biscuits in half. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture on bottom halves of biscuits; cover with top halves.
This recipe originally aired in the July 2006 issue of Heart of the Home.
More from this issue:
- Chicken Paillards with Asian Salad Recipe
- Pecan Chicken Sticks with Collard Couscous Recipe
- Thai-Inspired Stuffed Chicken Breast and Slaw Recipe
- Warm Chicken Black Bean Salad with Mango Mojo Dressing Recipe