Gourmet Marshmallows Recipe
1 / 2
Give loved ones the gift of delicious homemade marshmallows.
Photo by Hearst Communications Inc.
2 / 2
- Vegetable oil, for oiling pan
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cool water, divided
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- Brush the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with oil. Cut an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment paper, and line the pan so it covers the bottom and two opposing sides. Brush the parchment paper with oil.
- In a small bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cornstarch, and whisk to blend. Coat parchment paper in pan with half the mixture. Set remaining mixture aside.
- Fill a large bowl with 1/2 cup cool water, and sprinkle gelatin over the top. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, combine sugar, corn syrup, and remaining water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until mixture reaches 240 F, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat gelatin mixture on low for 30 seconds. Add boiled mixture in a slow, steady stream, pouring down the side of the bowl. Beat on high until mixture is thick and ribbon-like, and has doubled in volume, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth using dampened fingers. Sprinkle remaining powdered sugar mixture over the top, and let rest, uncovered, in a cool, dry place for 4 to 24 hours.
- Invert marshmallow onto a dry surface, and discard parchment paper. Using a clean, dry pastry brush, dust excess powdered sugar mixture from the top onto the work surface. Dust a knife with the excess mixture, and cut the marshmallow into 12 squares measuring 1 3/4 inches (you'll have a bit extra). Dip the cut edges of the marshmallows in the excess powdered sugar mixture on the work surface.
- Place 3 marshmallows in each bag, and attach an identification tag with decorative ribbon.
- Peppermint Marshmallows: At the end of Step 4, add 1 teaspoon mint extract, and beat for 30 seconds.Chocolate Marshmallows:After Step 1, mix 6 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water in a small bowl until a smooth paste forms, and set aside.
- In Step 2, sift 1/4 cup cocoa with powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- In Step 5, beat the cocoa paste into the gelatin mixture before adding the boiled mixture.Lavender Marshmallows:Before Step 1, bring 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons dried lavender to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Set aside and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain and reserve the liquid; discard the lavender.
- In Steps 3 and 4, use lavender water instead of cool water.Coffee Marshmallows:Before Step 1, dissolve 6 tablespoons instant espresso in 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In Steps 3 and 4, use the espresso instead of cool water.
More Projects, Recipes, and Wrapping Ideas:
- Cutting Board Tablet Holder
- Custom Jewelry Box
- Gift-wrap Ideas
- Homemade Gifts for the Holidays
Reprinted with permission from Country Living Christmas Joys: Decorating, Crafts & Recipes, © 2015 by Hearst Communications, Inc., an imprint of Sterling Publishing.