Slow-cook this ham and bean recipe at lunchtime, and it will be ready in time for dinner.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound dried white beans, sorted and washed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme,optional
- 3 stalks celery, sliced, optional
- 2 to 3 carrots, sliced, optional
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large ham bone
- Place chicken stock, beans, garlic, and onion in a slow cooker. Add thyme, celery, and carrots, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Place the ham bone on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone and let cool briefly. Remove and shred meat. Stir meat into soup.