Ham and Cheese Pie Recipe
35 to 40 minutes
6 to 8 servings
- Pastry for a single-crust pie
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Asiago, Parmesan, or Romano cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (3/4 pound) ground cooked ham, turkey ham, or smoked turkey breast
- 1 large tomato, cut into 12 wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Roll out the pastry and fit it into a 9- or 10-inch quiche pan or pie pan. Prebake the pie shell until pale golden and dry.
- Brush the inside of the baked shell with the mustard. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms and scallions for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Turn the vegetables into a mixing bowl and add the parsley, cream, half of the shredded provolone or mozzarella, the grated asiago, eggs, and ham. Mix well.
- Turn the filling into the pie shell and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Remove the pie from the oven and arrange the tomato wedges over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded provolone or mozzarella. Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the tomatoes are hot and the cheese is melted. Serve chilled, at room temperature, or warm, cut into wedges.More from Breakfast with Beatrice:Danish Pancake Balls Recipe
- Buttery Fruit Squares Recipe
- Farmhouse Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Reprinted with Permission Breakfast with Beatrice from and Published by University of Minnesota Press.