The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home, by Melissa K. Norris (Harvest House Publishers, 2016), inspires us to get back to our roots and back to the basics in the kitchen, in our home, and in our lives. Norris provides a collection of made-from-scratch recipes and life tips to help the modern reader appreciate the simple. Here, you can create your own homemade white sauce, gravy, or cream of soup replacement and customize it to your own personal tastes.
More from The Made-from-Scratch Life:
Homemade White Sauce/Gravy or Condensed Cream of Soup Replacement
• 3 Tablespoons butter (coconut oil if you’re dairy-free)
• 3 to 4 Tablespoons flour (organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder for gluten-free)
• 1 cup milk (for a richer sauce, use cream; for a dairy-free option, use chicken broth)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• dash of pepper
1. In a saucepan, melt butter (or fat of choice) over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour. It will make a thick paste. Slowly whisk in your liquid. Bring to a simmer (barely a boil), adding more liquid if it becomes too thick. It will thicken up a bit on cooling. Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper.
2. You can add in sautéed mushrooms for a cream of mushroom flavor. Sauté minced garlic and onion for another flavor add-in, depending upon your dish.
3. If it’s too thick, add more liquid; too thin, add in a little bit more flour (or thickener of choice) and allow it to simmer for another minute or so. Be sure to stir frequently to avoid scorching the bottom of the sauce. The longer it cooks, the thicker it will become.
Taken from: The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home. Copyright © 2016 by Melissa K. Norris. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. Used by Permission.
Melissa K. Norris believes that the simple things in life are truly the best and that everything just looks better in a Mason jar. Her mission is to inspire people’s faith and pioneer roots. Through her popular blog and podcast, Pioneering Today, she reaches hundreds of thousands of people, inspiring them to live their dreams, while sharing easy tips and ways to live frugal, grow it yourself, and make it at home pioneer style. Her advice has been featured in The New Pioneer Magazine, Self-Sufficiency Magazine, and Molly Green Magazine. Melissa lives with her husband and two children in their own little house in the big woods in the foothills of the North Cascade Mountains. Visit her web site and follow her on Twitter for simple living tips and more.