Enjoy this cake with a refreshing Orange Julius Smoothie.
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons, melted
• 1 cup sugar, divided
• Grated rind of 2 lemons
• 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 6 egg whites
• Pinch of salt
• 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a Bundt pan; set aside.
2) In large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together softened butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat in lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, sour cream, and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
3) In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Gradually add remaining sugar, and beat until combined. Set aside.
4) In medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture with 1/3 of the egg whites. Gradually, and gently, fold in remaining egg whites.
5) Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for about 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6) Meanwhile, make a glaze by blending powdered sugar, remaining lemon juice, and melted butter with an electric mixer until blended and smooth.
7) Allow cake to cool completely, then transfer it to a cake platter, and drizzle glaze over the top.