Meatball Soup Recipe
• 1-1⁄2 pounds ground beef
• Dash of black pepper
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoon minced onion
• 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 pint tomato sauce, or 2 cans (8 ounces each)
• 1 cup water
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil
• 3 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
• 4 medium carrots, sliced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 stalk celery, sliced thin, optional
• 1-1⁄4 cups frozen peas
1. In a large bowl, mix together beef, black pepper, egg, onion and breadcrumbs. Form mixture into 1-inch balls.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs, and brown on all sides. Transfer to a slow cooker.
3. Discard all but 3 tablespoons fat in skillet. Add flour to skillet, and stir to blend. Add tomato sauce, water, sugar and basil. Stir in potatoes, carrots, onion and celery, if desired. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often and adding more water if necessary.
4. Pour vegetable mixture over meatballs in slow cooker. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender — 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low.
5. Add peas, and cook for another 30 minutes, or until peas are tender.
Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.