Cooking with Microgreens by Sal Gilbertie with Larry Sheehan (The Countryman Press, 2015) is a guide to growing and cooking with fresh microgreens. This cookbook guides you with step-by-step instructions, beautiful photographs, and easy recipes. This recipe includes a variety of vegetables that will make you feel as if you’re dining along the Mediterranean coast.
When your vegetable garden or the nearest farm stand is brimming with red, ripe tomatoes, yellow and green zucchini, deep purple eggplant, and fat leeks, a bowl of this family-style soup, spiced up with fresh microgreens, will hit the spot. Pamper your guests by serving this soup in bowls that have been warmed in a 200-degree Fahrenheit oven for 2 to 3 minutes.
• 8 cups chicken stock or broth
•1 cup dry white wine
•1/4 cup dried small white beans, soaked in water for 2 hours and drained
•3 small red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch dice.
•1 large onion, cut into 1-inch dice
•2 leeks, trimmed, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips and rinsed thoroughly
•2 carrots, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips
•3 celery stalks, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips
•1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch dice
•1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch dice
•1 yellow crookneck squash, cut into 1-inch dice
•2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
•1/2 cup chopped garlic chive microgreens
•1/2 cup basil microgreens
•1 cup parsley microgreens
•Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a large soup pot, bring the stock and wine to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the beans, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, onion, leeks, carrots, and celery and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and microgreens and continue to simmer until all the vegetable are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Ladle into heated soup bowls and serve.
More From Cooking With Microgreens:• Grilled Pork Tenderloins Seasoned with Micros
This excerpt is reprinted with permission from Cooking With Microgreens by Sal Gilbertie and Larry Sheehan , published by The Countryman Press, 2015.