Mexican Corn Soup Recipe
1 / 2
A simple recipe, Mexican Corn Soup Recipe takes very little time from start to table.
Photo by Fotolia/Martin Turzak
2 / 2
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (12 ounces) sweet corn, drained
- 2-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Tortilla chips and cilantro, for garnish
- Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan. Add green pepper, green onions and garlic, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Gradually stir in chicken broth and salsa. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Add corn and 1-1/2 cups cheese, and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Top each serving with tortilla chips, cilantro and remaining cheese.We have plenty more Mexican dish recipes. Check out Easy Mexican Recipes Spice Up Dinner Menus.