Blue Heron Mississippi Mud Dessert Recipe
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1-1/3 cups plus 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, divided
- 2 cups Great River Organic Milling All Purpose White Flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9-by-9-inch pan; set aside.
- Microwave chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 40 seconds. Stir, and continue microwaving in 30-second intervals until melted.
- Beat 1 cup butter and 2 cups granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add 1 cup flour, beating at low speed just until blended. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared pan.
- Beat peanut butter, brown sugar, 1⁄3 cup butter, and remaining granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add remaining eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the baking pow-der and the remaining flour, and beat on low until thoroughly blended.
- Spread peanut butter mixture evenly over batter in pan, and top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Cover with marshmallows, and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk and cocoa, whisking constantly. Gradually add powdered sugar and remaining vanilla, and mix until smooth. Pour over marshmallows.
- Place in the still-warm oven or under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until marshmallows are melted. Watch closely if broiling, so it doesn’t burn.
More from the Capper's Farmer recipe archives:
- Pecan Coffee Cake Recipe
- Cranberry Bar Recipe
- Spicy Layered Apple Dessert Recipe
- Mini Mince Pies Recipe