Patty Melt Sandwich Recipe
1 / 2
A hot patty melt, with a burger topped with Swiss cheese and sauteed onions on golden bread.
Photo by Getty Images/chas53
2 / 2
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices rye or sourdough bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- In large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion, and cook until caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix together ground beef, salt, and pepper. Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add patties, and cook to desired doneness, turning once.
- Place 4 slices of bread on counter. Top each with a beef patty, two slices of cheese, and some grilled onions. Cover with remaining bread slices.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches, and cook until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, and continue cooking until second side is golden and cheese is melted, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.